Sometimes a stove can give off an unpleasant gas smell, which if you smell it constantly can affect your body. It is also important to know how to differentiate when a leak is occurring from when it is the stove that gives off the smell of gas.
Therefore, in this article we will show you a series of tricks so that a stove does not smell like gas.
How a gas stove works
Gas stoves generally work with the combustion of butane. In order for them to work, the burner is due, and from here the oxygen will be consumed, which will be converted into carbon dioxide, and in turn into heat.
Nowadays, there are modern gas stoves that do not give off a drop of gas smell, since they are perfectly equipped with a thermostat and different safety mechanisms. Instead, it’s the old ones that smell like gas.
How to stop a stove from smelling like gas
There are different tricks so that a stove does not smell like gas, which we will detail below. But, if you think that what you are suffering is a leak, you should turn off the device, to avoid greater evils. Although, as we have said before, old stoves generate a greater smell of gas, but it does not mean that it is produced by a leak. To avoid this smell we must apply the following tricks:
- Change the hose. This element usually wears out after two or three years, so it should be replaced with that frequency. In addition, it can be the cause of the smell of gas.
- Clean the stove. It is important to clean it every time we use it, since there may be traces of use that will later affect the bad smell.
- Neutralizer of bad odors. If none of the above tricks have worked for you, you should buy a neutralizer, since they are the perfect product to eliminate the root odor. For it to work properly, you will have to use it right at the moment you turn it on.
In addition to these tricks so that a stove does not smell like gas, you can make one that we have explained previously, which is about combining 3 simple ingredients.
How to recognize a gas leak?
It is important to know how to recognize a gas leak, as it can cause damage to both your home and your health. Therefore, to distinguish a butane exhaust we must pay attention to the following aspects:
- Whistle. In every gas leak, a peculiar hiss is heard, produced by the pressure of the gas.
- Fast consumption. If you notice that the pump is consuming too quickly, it may be because you are experiencing a gas leak.
- Symptoms. The gas produces a toxic reaction in our body, which can turn into a headache, nausea, dizziness, and so on.
What to do in the event of a gas leak?
If you think that you are suffering a gas leak, you should act with caution by following the following indications:
- Ventilate the house as much as possible.
- Turn off the gas.
- Contact your gas company.
- Do not use any type of appliance or plug.
- In case the gas leak is important, you should call the fire department.
How to prevent a leak?
A gas leak is not to the liking of any person, since what begins as a leak can end in a greater evil. Therefore, prevention is better than cure, so we will give you a series of tips to avoid this type of phenomenon:
- Clean the stove every time you use it.
- In case you spill any type of liquid on it, you should clean it immediately.
- Use proper ventilation.
- If the stove is old and has been giving you problems, you should not turn it on.
- In case your stove is damaged, or you notice that it has some strange noise, fix it as soon as possible.
- If you are cooking, you should be alert, as the stove may be expelling more gas than necessary, which can be a sign of a leak.